Friday 21 December 2012

Die Auszeichnung ist mein liebster

Oh how lieblich... I got nominated for another award! This time round from Shivani of pins & needles who has a wicked blog about her sewing escapades. The cutest thing on her blog has to be Cornelius who is just adorable!
Thank you Shivani - I'm honoured! The award was set up way back when and has undergone a few changes from what I can see from my research. Its purpose is to bring blogs that have less than 200 followers into the limelight and increase their readership. It has definitely morphed since it first started (as has the logo in fact!) and the most current rules are:
  • Post 11 random facts about yourself
  • Answer 11 questions that your nominator (is that a word or have I just made it up?) asked you
  • Nominate up to 5 other blogs for the award and ask them 11 questions of your own
It's quite fun! Here are my random facts:
  • I LOVE cats (you probably already know this from my posts)
  • I'm determined to wear more dresses and skirts from this year on seeing as I've spent most of my life thus far in trousers
  • I've banned myself from crisps for years now as I was a little bit addicted to Walker's salt and vinegar in the past
  • I love toast with margarine and either honey or marmalade (I go thru phases)
  • I get really grumpy and argumentative if I'm either hungry or tired - my hubby tells me it's not my most attractive feature...
  • I'm scared of open water and found it really difficult to go sailing when I couldn't see any land
  • I'm really anal about grammar in formal documents
  • My favourite colour is brown and my favourite palette is earthy/autumnal
  • I have tried snowboarding twice and not been very good at it (I think I'm just too scared!) so am going to try and learn how to ski on my next trip in 2013
  • I have to read every night in bed in order to get to sleep
  • I really don't like the sound of my voice when it's recorded - but bizarrely I think I'm a reasonably good singer (not tried and tested in public so my fantasy of being the new Adele may yet be shot down in flames!)
Next up, my answers to the questions Shivani asked:

1. Why did you decide to start a blog?
I actually started it to enter a competition run by Rachel of stitched in color back in August 2011 However, it quickly became apparent that I could use it as an online diary to record stuff that I made. Initially it wasn't meant to be for public reading and it was REALLY boring for anyone but myself. It was only a few months ago, when I started making clothes, that I got into making the posts a little bit more varied and fun so that others out there in the blog world could see what I was up to.

2.
What is your favourite piece of clothing that you've ever owned?
If I'm entirely truthful, it would have to be any of my pyjamas!! I tend to change into PJs as soon as I get home from work as they're so comfy. Everyone I know laughs at me for this but I really feel trussed up if I stay in work clothes at home. I suppose a more serious answer would probably be my wedding dress which I had real wobbles about a week before I got married (I thought I hated it and didn't want to wear it) but on the day I fell in love with it and it's now a special part of a special day.
3. Other than the current one, which era of history would you most like to have lived in? 
For the clothes it has to be the 40s and 50s but I'm a bit obsessed with the Regency period (late Georgian/early Victorian) when Jane Austen wrote her novels. I don't really know why as I think I probably would have felt quite opressed as a woman back in those days (and I'm pretty sure that Austen's heroines weren't the norm then either) but there's just something about the novels that makes me yearn to have been alive then.

4. What made you start sewing clothes?
I wanted a new hobby! I had tried jewellery making a few years previously but got bored quite quickly as beading is very repetitive (well, I found, anyway) so I thought sewing would be more varied with a greater scope for expansion. I started off by making quilts and bags and cushions etc but wanted to do more. I was given a new sewing machine by my aunt as a wedding present and was really keen to join some evening classes to develop my skills. I was definitely encouraged by my other half (probably to get me out of the house so he could watch sport!!)

5. What is your dream holiday destination?
I'm hopefully going to Kenya on safari next year, that's something I've always wanted to do. I'd like to explore Australasia, South America and parts of Africa too if I get the chance.

6.
If you won the mega jackpot on the lottery, what's the first thing you would do?
Pay off my mortgage! Then give some money to my parents and my sister so that they didn't have to worry about money in the future. Then buy a bigger house with a bigger garden. And go part time at work!

7. What is your favourite ice cream flavour?
Gonna be boring - chocolate. Altho I did try some mince pie flavoured ice cream recently at my work Xmas do which was very nice.

8. What is your favourite book?
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

Obsessed I tell you...
9. What are you frightened of?
All creepy crawlies. If I see one in the house (especially a spider) I have to get one of my cats, usually the bigger one called Merky, to save me.

10. What is your favourite quote?
I don't think I have one but I do like this potentially topical one: "don't eat yellow snow".

11.
Which five guests (from any time in history) would be at your dream dinner party?
Nelson Mandela
Prince Charles
Stephen Fry
Jane Austen
David Attenborough
(I feel like I need more women in the mix though...Maybe swap Charles for Kate Winslet? )

And finally, here are my questions to the blogs that I've nominated:
1. If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
2. What colour are your eyes?
3. When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up and have you become that?
4. What was your favourite childhood toy?
5. Dresses or trousers?
6. How many hours a day or week do you spend looking at other peoples' blogs?
7. If you could timetravel back to the past and change one thing, what would it be?
8. What have you always wanted to do but were too afraid to try?
9. What crafting experience (ie something you've made) are you most proud of?
10. Which day of the week do you hate the most?
11. Daddy or chips?

And the award goes to (drumroll please)....

Go and read these lovely blogs and start following, they're all fab! (Follow me if you like too!) Thanks again, Shivani, I'm chuffed to bits for my award. Coming soon - my new sewing area and my first Kelly skirt... x

1 comment:

  1. Oh yay!! Thanks so much! I probably won't get to write a proper post til after vacation, but I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please leave me a comment. Thanks!